Written yesterday, editing and posting this morning:
I’m sorry it’s taken me so long. I meant to write yesterday, and then this morning, but I just never got around to it. We lost my grandfather yesterday afternoon. I’m so very glad that N, my brother, and I were able to go up and see him last weekend. My mother was also able to make it up on Sunday night, so it seems as though everyone got to say their goodbyes. Or, maybe more accurately, everyone got to say what they wanted Papa to be in the presence of their saying. I’m going up to Papatown tomorrow, the funeral is in the afternoon, and the family will be sitting shiva Friday and Sunday, Saturday being Yom Kippur. Silver lining? Well, I suppose there are a few. My grandfather was a great guy who loved and was loved by his family a lot, and lived a long life: he was 90 when he passed away. So what we’re looking at, while sad because it’s the end of an era, is really just an example of the cycle of life. I’m sad that he’ll never get to meet any great-grandchildren N and I would have provided. But it was his time. Really, though, the silver lining I was thinking of (yes, this is petty) is the fact that I will be missing Back to School Night tomorrow night, when parents come and sit in the teachers’ classrooms and we make presentations on our curriculum and expectations. Looking forward to not having to be at work until 8:30 PM, and therefore home at 9:30, and I always get nervous before meeting parents at a new school. So there’s that.
It’s Thursday now, and we’re on our way north. I send you all hugs and will have time to be in a little closer touch over the next few days.
No comments:
Post a Comment